Monday 16 January 2012

Book Review: Wake (Dream Catcher #1) by Lisa McMann

Book: Wake (Dream Catcher #1) - Lisa McMann


Publishing Date: March 4th 2008


Read from January 13 to 15, 2012


Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance


For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.

My View: 

Let me just start by stating I love this book! Wake is a perfect example of a excellent paranormal romance novel. 

Seventeen year old Janie has a secret, she visits people in their dreams. She doesn't want to, it just happens. One minute she is sitting in class or at work and the next thing she knows, she is following someone into the forest. It's annoying but she can't help it. She has no control over it. Things get complicated when she befriends the school loner, Cabel. She is surprised to learn that some of his dreams are about her and through these dreams they learn about each others secrets.

Wake is an intriguing book, it just sucked me in from the get go. Even though the story is nothing like it, but the book reminded me of the movie The Butterfly Effect. Maybe because of the writing style, which I must add was so different and kind of brilliant.

I enjoyed the book thoroughly. The characters were well defined, the mystery was top notch and it was very romantic. I loved Janie and Cabel as indivisual characters and as a couple. 

I loved this book and can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy. 

The Good:

  • The story is very powerful, moving and different from all the PNR novels out there.
  • Very interesting characters. They were very well define, even though the book is so tight and compact.
  • The romance between Janie and Cabel was amazing. It was intense, cute and emotional.
  • I adored the character of Janie, she was strong and very realistic.
  • The writing takes some getting use to, but I loved it nonetheless. 

The Bad: 

  • The book was extremely short, i mean just 210 pages. I so wanted to read more!
Overall: 4.5 and double thumbs up!
Writing: 5/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Romance: 4/5
LoL Moments: 3/5
Cover: 5/5


Favorite Quote: “That was the goth stage, where I decided I'd never get the girl of my dreams because of my scars. Not to mention my hairstyle. (pause) But then she slammed a door handle into my gut. And when a girl does that to a boy, it means she likes him.”

Favorite Character: Janie and Cabel


3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, this is a great series! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific review! I love the breakdown of ratings that you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to read this series for so long but still haven't gotten around to it! I will have to check it out soon by the sounds! Great review!

    Amy @ Following the Reader

    ReplyDelete